The first documented COVID 19 reinfection has been reported in Hong Kong verified by genetic sequencing. Dr. Seheult of https://www.medcram.com explains the importance of this patient’s symptoms (he was asymptomatic with the second infection) and how immunity to viruses typically builds over time with subsequent exposures or vaccines. Dr. Seheult also discusses comparisons to previous viruses such as smallpox that have caused large numbers of deaths among populations without any prior exposure. (This video was recorded August 26, 2020).
LINKS / REFERENCES:
Johns Hopkins Tracker | https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
Worldometer | https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
New York Times | https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/24/health/coronavirus-reinfection.html
STAT | https://www.statnews.com/2020/08/24/first-covid-19-reinfection-documented-in-hong-kong-researchers-say/
Michael Mina on Twitter | https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab
Wikipedia | https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_soil_epidemic
Business Insider | https://www.businessinsider.com/2-new-coronavirus-reinfection-cases-belgium-netherlands-hong-kong-2020-8
Arizona State University B Cells vs T Cells | https://askabiologist.asu.edu/b-cell
Dengue in Nature | https://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/host-response-to-the-dengue-virus-22402106/
THE MEDCRAM WEBSITE:
Visit us for videos on over 60 medical topics and CME / CEs for medical professionals: https://www.medcram.com
SUBSCRIBE TO THE MEDCRAM YOUTUBE CHANNEL:
Get notified of new videos by hitting the bell icon:
PREVIOUS COVID-19 UPDATES:
Please visit MedCram.com for the full series:
– Coronavirus Pandemic Update 103: Convalescent Plasma Treatment & the FDA; College Campuses Close https://youtu.be/pvmtT_XV4aw
– At Home, Cheap, COVID-19 Tests with Results in 15 Minutes: How to Fix Testing with Dr. Michael Mina https://youtu.be/cP-MHKU_cQE
-Coronavirus Pandemic Update 102: COVID 19 vs. Influenza Symptoms; Sweden; Tocilizumab; Hawaii https://youtu.be/bQrooawwhLI
– COVID-19 Pandemic Update 101: T Cell Immunity vs. Antibodies & Prior Exposure to Other Coronaviruses https://youtu.be/i536vS3z3e8
– Coronavirus Pandemic Update 100: Interferon Beta COVID-19 Treatment, and a Retrospective https://youtu.be/W1dA9VhL60A
– Coronavirus Pandemic Update 99: “Long Haulers” – Lingering & Long-Term Symptoms After COVID-19 https://youtu.be/tFXr14xmuGw
– Coronavirus Pandemic Update 98: At Home COVID-19 Testing – A Possible Breakthrough https://youtu.be/h7Sv_pS8MgQ
– Coronavirus Pandemic Update 97: Vitamin D & COVID-19 Immunity, The Endothelium, & Deficiencies https://youtu.be/Mdc7T2UTHBI
– Coronavirus Pandemic Update 96: RNA Vaccine; Ivermectin; von Willebrand Factor and COVID-19 https://youtu.be/kk7KNBak-i0
– Coronavirus Pandemic Update 95: Widespread Clotting on Autopsy; New COVID-19 Prognostic Data https://youtu.be/bPDVzt79UMU
– Coronavirus Pandemic Update 94: Inhaled Steroids COVID-19 Treatment; New Pneumonia in Kazakhstan? https://youtu.be/BG5pEDKbQv0
– Coronavirus Pandemic Update 93: Antibodies, Immunity, & Prevalence of COVID-19 – New Data from Spain https://youtu.be/KRCnj3c_x7U
– Coronavirus Pandemic Update 92: Blood Clots & COVID-19 – New Research & Potential Role of NAC https://youtu.be/kK-DNyKnb5c
All coronavirus updates are at MedCram.com (including COVID 19 diagnosis, prevention, treatment, vaccine developments, COVID reinfection (coronavirus re-infection) rapid COVID-19 Testing, paper COVID 19 antigen tests, beta interferon, and more).
We offer many other medical topics (ECG Interpretation, thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, myocardial infarction, hypertension, DKA, influenza, measles, mechanical ventilation, etc.) on our website.
MEDCRAM WORKS WITH MEDICAL PROGRAMS AND HOSPITALS:
MedCram offers group discounts for students and a variety of medical programs, hospitals, and other institutions. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
Roger Seheult, MD
Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Disease, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine.
Associate Professor at the University of California, Riverside School of Medicine
Media Contact: email@example.com
Media contact info: https://www.medcram.com/pages/media-contact
Video Produced by Kyle Allred
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
Tweets by MedCramVideos
MedCram medical videos are for medical education and exam preparation, and NOT intended to replace recommendations from your doctor.
#COVID19 #SARSCoV2 #Reinfection